Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:07:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> Actually,. I think that ALLOWING my code to become part of Linux would be
> hypocritical. The GPL seeks to stamp out exactly the sort of free exchange
> of ideas (and code!) that I (and most of the folks present here) advocate,
> and I would not want to aid or abet this process in any way. I don't like
> to be "anti-" anything, but when one sees a clear and present danger it's
> important to take a stand against it.

But by doing so, you negate your own arguments to this point. By your own
line of reasoning, BSD code that's integrated into GPLed projects isn't
developmentally dead; it's just entered a proprietary product, more or
less. If someone snarks BSD code and sticks it in a commercial product,
you don't get the benefit of future development unless they voluntarily
release their proprietary code additions. Likewise, if you simply consider
all GPLed products "dead," I fail to see how incorporating BSD code
into GPLed projects differs from incorporating BSD code into proprietary
projects whose source code will never see the public light of day.
If the GPLed project only contains 10% of your BSD-licensed source code,
who are you to say that the other 90% can't be licensed as the author
pleases?

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji